forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [plugin] Warning, Errors, Fatals and Libraries (again)
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:45:19 GMT
Ron Blaschke wrote:
> As posted earlier, I am working on a Pod input plugin.  Quite a
> number of things are already working, but some are not (quite yet).
>
> I have some questions regarding input plugin development, and I'd
> appreciate it if you guys could help me sort them out.  None of these
> is required for the plugin to work, but would make things integrate
> more smoothly (I guess).
>
> - Libraries
> The pod-input plugin requires two additional jars to run.  How should
> I distribute them with the plugin?  Just copy them into a lib/
> directory in the distribution zip?

Yesterday, I committed support for libraries, but it is not documented
yet (perhaps you could add a section to the docs). Update your version
of Forrest with "svn up", you can then include libraries in a lib
directory in the plugin.

> - Errors and Warnings
> During translation of documents error may pop up.  How should those be
> reported?  org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException in the generator?
> How should warnings be reported?  Just System.err.println(..)?
>
> - Tracing
> Is there a recommended library which should be used for tracing?
> log4j, commons-logging, excalibur-logger, ...?

These are really Cocoon questions. I'm no expert with Cocoon so I'll let
someone else answer to ensure it is correct ;-)

> - forrest validate-xdocs
> Are there any plans to allow input plugins to validate their
> documents?  Would be a neat feature.

Validation is done by Forrest itself, all source documents in the
project are validated when the site is built using "forrest site". There
is (should be?) no need for plugins to handle validation separately, or
am I missing your point?

Ross