forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] HTML as base Forrest format
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:15:26 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

> The proposal is simply to deprecate the xdoc format as an *input*
> format, and concentrate on HTML4 and XHTML1.x for the _source_.

Ok, I'm still +1 as it is still an intermediate step to XHTML as an
internal format (one of your original points I think).

Your further point of "Be forgiving in what you accept, be strict in
what you deliver" seems to work alongside my point of using JTidy to fix
bad HTML to allow Forrest to work with it:

HTML --> XDoc --> Output

This is already supported and works pretty well. As I mentioned earlier,
we are succesfully using it at Burrokeet as the preferred input format
(around 600 pages of course materials and growing rapidly). There are
some tweaks to the stylesheet needed to provide a more complete support
for HTML, but the basic functionality is there and usable, it is only a
documentation change really.

Thorsten, does you -1 still stand given Nicola's clarification.

Ross