forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] HTML as base Forrest format
Date Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:47:57 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I would propose that we clearly state that HTML is the preferred source
> format for Forrest sites, and remove xdocs from the site template.
>
> This seems a bit backwards with the XHTML2 stuff, but I don't think so.
>
> The important thing is that (X)HTML(1|2) is used as a source format, so
> that many editors can be used and impedence on Forrest usage is
> minimized. The internals of Forrest are not generally known by users.
>
> This can also make it easier for us to do a step towards XHTML2, as we
> will need to put in the HTML handling the same things that will go in
> the 2 version.
>
> WDOT?

I am +1 for this, the main reasoning for my arguments are:

- all of the Nicola's observations above

- further work on the HTMLEditor plugin will provide in browser WYSIWYG
editing under forrest run or a webapp (I intend to do this work in
February, if it hasn't already been done)

- over at Burrokeet we are already using HTML as the base format, and it
works well. There are a couple of things with the HTML2doc stylesheet
that need ironing out, but nothing major.

- it will provide a clearer route to integrating things like the Docbook
stylesheets (which output HTML)

Ross