forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: License & Copyright concerns Re: [plugins] pod-input auto install]
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:38:24 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Rick Tessner wrote:
> >
> >D'oh.  Just saw that you just asked to have it added to the plugin list,
> >not have the whole thing committed to the Forrest SVN ...
>
> Even so, the points you make are valid with respect to correctly
> licensing included files etc.

Still a good excercise for us to go through. It helps us
to devlop good practices.

> Although Apache are not directly
> responsible (since it is hosted elsewhere) I believe we should still
> help plugin providers ensure their distributions are legal.

Yes, i reckon that the ASF is one of the wayfarers in this field.
(Or is that minefield :-)

> In addition I have made the *assumption* that we can distribute this as
> a plugin from a non-Apache site, should I confirm this with the
> licensing folk at Apache or can someone here confirm that this is OK.

There are no specific licensing folk. If there are issues that we
cannot handle, then committers can ask on the licensing-discuss
mailing list.

There are a number of purposes for our plugin download system.
The main reason is to enable us to link to plugins whose
license terms are more restrictive than is the Apache License.

> Finally, I think we need to add a license element to plugins.xml, we can
> use this to force users to agree to the license terms of plugins under
> any license other than the Apache one (I've added this to the issue
> tracker).

Agreed, we need to make it very clear.

--David