forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] HTML as base Forrest format
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:59:39 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> [snip]
> I intend HTML4 and XHTML1.1, with HTML4 *preferred*, as it facilitates
> usage. "Be forgiving in what you accept, be strict in what you deliver".

Why do we need to "prefer"? We could just say which input formats are
available and have a document which list the pros and cons.

> [snip]
> Actually I'm only talking about the SOURCE format.
>
> The proposal is simply to deprecate the xdoc format as an *input*
> format, and concentrate on HTML4 and XHTML1.x for the _source_.

Earlier in this thread you used this expression: (X)HTML(1|2)
When it comes time for a vote, then it should be explicit.

We would need to deprecate the xdoc input format over a long period
or provide a special build target to convert from xdocs.

I gather that it has always been the plan to evolve the "xdocs" format
to XHTML2 anyway. So i am just seeing this proposal as being in line
with that.

My concerns are the "prefer" issue above, and understanding how
we do FAQs and HOWTOs and CHANGES without having the xdocs to control
the structure.

--David