forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Blaschke <mailing-li...@rblasch.org>
Subject Re: [plugin] Warning, Errors, Fatals and Libraries (again)
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:06:15 GMT
Monday, January 3, 2005, 8:49:05 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>>Validation is done by Forrest itself, all source documents in the
>>>project are validated when the site is built using "forrest site". There
>>>is (should be?) no need for plugins to handle validation separately, or
>>>am I missing your point?
>>
>> If I am not wrong, forrest validates the XML documents against their
>> DTDs.  But the pod-input plugin takes (Perl) Pod files as input, which
>> are not in XML.  (This might also apply to other future input plugins.)

> It is the job of the plugin to do whatever is necessary, including any
> validation. I'm not sure exactly *how* this would be done, perhaps a
> Cocoon generator to read the POD file and validate it accordingly.

Maybe I got things wrong, so let me spell it out.  Please hint me were
I got things wrong: There is a separate target, in
main/targets/validaton.xml, called validate-xdocs, which uses a task
"xmlvalidate" to check the documents.  This process looks separate
from the translation.

Since input plugins might handle non XML files, the validaton might no
longer be complete.  I just wanted to point this out, for you guys to
properly decide on it.

I have no use case for this, as I usually just create the full site
("forrest site"), or work iteratively on it during "forrest run".  So
this is really a non-issue for me, and probably most others.  Again,
just wanted to make sure people are aware of this.

Thanks for your response.

Ron