forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Tessner <r...@apache.org>
Subject Forrest 0.6.x, Cocoon and Java
Date Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:22:56 GMT
Hi all,

I've been looking at the best way to upgrade cocoon in the
forrest_06_branch in order to address
http://issues.cocoondev.org//browse/FOR-356 (Multi-User Capability).

The problem was a cocoon issue which has been fixed in both Cocoon
2.2-dev and Cocoon 2.1.6 (and thus Cocoon 2.1.7-dev)

Issues that I've run across

      * Current Cocoon 2.2-dev (and that used in Forrest 0.7-dev) works
        only with Java 1.4.x or higher.
      * Cocoon 2.1.6 works with Java 1.3.x and higher
      * Cocoon 2.1.7-dev I can't get to compile with either Java 1.3.x
        or 1.4.x (bombs in different places tho) so I don't know whether
        it works with Forrest. :(
      * The pass-through attribute for the map:mount element in the
        sitemap does not work under Cocoon 2.1.6 (may work in 2.1.7-dev,
        but again I haven't been able to test this)
      * Forrest 0.6 currently uses an earlier revision of Cocoon 2.2-dev
        (which was at the time compatible with Java 1.3.x) with Cocoon
        2.1.5 libs.

My Preference:

      * Upgrade Cocoon in forrest_06_branch to the same Cocoon being
        used in the Forrest trunk and make it clear that Java 1.4.x is
        the minimum requirement for Forrest (both 0.6.x and svn trunk).
        ie. Upgraded to Cocoon 2.2-dev, revision 111170.
      * Upgrade the java classes in Forrest 0.6.x that were part of
        o.a.cocoon to o.a.forrest to mirror what has been done in
        Forrest 0.7-dev.
      * Upgrade both 0.6.1-dev and 0.7-dev to Cocoon 2.2 when it's
        released.  Discussion on the cocoon dev mailing list sounds like
        that could happen in the next 3-4 months.

If we go with Cocoon 2.2, it would mean that we lose Java 1.3.x
compatibility.  Then again, Java 1.3 is in the process of being EOL'd.
See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/download.html .

Thoughts?

--
Rick Tessner