forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] HTML as base Forrest format
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:33:02 GMT
El dom, 02-01-2005 a las 16:15, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> > The proposal is simply to deprecate the xdoc format as an *input*
> > format, and concentrate on HTML4 and XHTML1.x for the _source_.
>
> Ok, I'm still +1 as it is still an intermediate step to XHTML as an
> internal format (one of your original points I think).
>
> Your further point of "Be forgiving in what you accept, be strict in
> what you deliver" seems to work alongside my point of using JTidy to fix
> bad HTML to allow Forrest to work with it:
>
> HTML --> XDoc --> Output

> Thorsten, does you -1 still stand given Nicola's clarification.

Yeah, -1 on HTML4 as official intermediate input format. -+0 on
xhtml1.x.

If we deprecate xdoc, IMO the *official* internal source should be
xhtml2 (without any other intermediate solutions).

I do not want to say that we should not support html4 nor xhtml1 as
input format (of course we will) but I personally do not want to use it
as official intermediate internal source.

I guess if we want to reach forrest 1.0 we should do it with future
standards and not officially supporting "a dead language (html4)". BTW
the same is true for xslt, xpath,...

I personally see the pipe like:
(x)html or whatever input format (OO, inx, ..)/ -> xhtml2 (no xdocs) ->
output
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"