forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: handy trick for using branches
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:33:56 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:
>
>>Dave Brondsema wrote:
>>
>>>Since FORREST_HOME doesn't have to be set as an env. var (we need to update
>>the
>>>docs about this), all you have to do is put 'forrest' in your path.
>>
>>That's cool. Do you think it's safe to just ask to set forrest in the
>>path? I mean, was FORREST_HOME used for a technical deficiency that has
>>been overcome or because of the need of it on some platforms?
>
> I don't know why FORREST_HOME was used.  As some say:
>
>>             - verba volant, scripta manent -
>>    (discussions get forgotten, just code remains)

:-))

> It seems to work fine without it in Linux and Windows XP.  A Solaris test would
> be good to do too.

IIRC, but this is just OTOMH, it was older Windows versions (W98 etc).

I was sincerely hoping that my memory was not correct and FORREST_HOME
was really never needed. In any case, since Windows 98 users are not the
norm, I'm nevertheless supportive of the idea of not making users set
FORREST_HOME unless they are having issues. It makes it all easier :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -