forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: move Transformers to Cocoon (Was: [GUMP@brutus]: Project forrest (in module forrest) failed)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:48:51 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>> Should we move these transformers over to the core of
>>> Cocoon?
>>
>> No way.
>>
>> Putting them in Cocoon == losing control over them. We see it with the
>> linkmap stuff, and I don't want it happening again.
>
> Well we need to keep them up-to-date then.

Yes.

> But what do you mean by losing control? Do you mean
> Cocoon people change it without us knowing?

No, of course not, it's the other way around. Having the code in the
Cocoon SVN implies that:

1 - our committers will not generally be able to commit there
2 - we are not able to VOTE changes to it, as it's Cocoon's PMC role
3 - most important: it's a barrier to entry, as the Cocoon build is
    much slower and more complicated than our's

> What happened with "the linkmap stuff"? Sorry i must
> have missed a kerfuffle.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/blocks/linkrewriter/

We use it, it's a main part of Forrest, but it's in Cocoon.
I wanted to work on it, but having it there, even if I have access and
am part of the Cocoon PMC, made it impossible for me given my time
constraints.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -