forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Recommended DTD version?
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:14:56 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> I've been playing with HTMLarea and Cocoon Forms lately to edit XML
>>> documents (not producing strings, but real XML DOM), and I started
>>> building a sample to edit Cocoon docs... and found a lot of
>>> different xdoc dtd versions. I would like to migrate to a consistent
>>> version.
>>

>> Sounds superb, I knocked together a very simple HTMLArea plugin for
>> Forrest the other day. Your work sounds far better, I must take a look.

Well, for now it's only on my laptop :-)

Don't know if you're familiar with Cocoon Forms, but the idea is to have
a new "XML element" datatype that is converted to/from HTML using two
XSL stylesheets, so that user can use HTMLarea to edit a document whose
markup can be very different from HTML.

>>> So the question is: what is the "mainstream" document DTD version?
>>> 2.0 is the latest, but it seems that 1.3 is used internally in
>>> Forrest. So is 2.0 stable, or should we stick to 1.3?
>>

>> We are now writing in 2.0 the reason being that this is closer to
>> XHTML2. In our next release our internal format will be a subset of
>> XHTML2 (don't worry, we will be providing internal conversion from
>> older formats).
>>
>> This XHTML2 work is very early days (planning really). So I would say
>> DTD 2.0 is your best bet. Since we are moving tho the XHTML2 subset
>> it is very unlikely that we will make any major changes to 2.0.
>

> Sylvain, at Cocoon we have not yet upgraded any of the DTDs that are
> used by Cocoon xdocs, so if you look at src/webapp/WEB-INF/entities/
> you will only see the old DTDs.

Yes, that's when starting to work with them for my sample that I
wondered if we should switch to a more mainstream version.

> We could upgrade the cocoon xdocs to use these new DTDs because during
> Cocoon's 'build docs' it calls Forrest to do the work.
>
> However, when running Cocoon as as a webapp and using the live
> documentation localhost:8888/docs/ you would notice that it uses old
> stylesheets that are dependent on the old DTDs. Stuck ...

Ah damn, I missed that point :-(

Mmmh... can't Cocoon embed a "mini-Forrest" for this local publishing
(with the appropriate warnings that it's not the full Forrest) just like
it embeds a "mini-Jetty"?

Sylvain