forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: search engine friendly skins
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:00:08 GMT
Glen Tulukin wrote:
> To name few features I am working on (or already have done but in process of
> porting from 0.5 to 0.6):

You'd be mich better off doing this in 0.7 if your intention is that
your changes end up in Forrest code bae. There are considerable changes
in directory structure between 0.6 and 0.7 which means any patches you
provide against 0.6 will be difficult for us to apply.

> - separate Window title and the doc title (html/meta/title and
> document/header/title). Now it's the same, but it's not good for SE
> - concept of a keyword -- a doc has a hidden element that lists keywords and
> those keywords must be used in the doc frequently enough, closer to the
> beginning of the page and preferably in the h1, h2 elements
> - consolidated keyword / title report for each page

All this is meta-data and is something that needs consideration. There
are many different views on how one should store meta-data, How do you
propose storing this information?

With respect to keywords are you proposing automatic generation of those
keywords?

> - SE - friendly generated linkmap.xml. Usually it's not a good idea to
> submit home page to yahoo, it should be well-thought site map (what other
> non-Cocoon people understand under site map)

What is the difference between your proposed linkmap.xml and the
existing linkmap.xml?

> - link pages (have to exchange links in order to have links to yourself)
> etc. etc. -- you've got idea.

How do these differ from a page with links on it?

> I follow recommendations from www.searchenginewatch.com (and by the way if
> you can suggest any other sites -- I'll appreciate).
>
> If you think it's something people might need I am willing to contribute to
> the project.

My questions are meant to encourage not to discourage. I think the basic
ideas you propose are great, we just need to think about how they fit in
with the existing Forrest model of things.

Ross