forrest-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject Re: Configuring output plugins (was Re: [JIRA] Commented: (FOR-409) PDF: should be able to change font size and style in skinconf.xml)
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:50:59 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> scott hutinger wrote:
>
>> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> issues@cocoondev.org wrote:
>>>
>>> From FOR-409

>>> OK, so how do we configure output-plugins? Here is a suggestion to
>>> get us started:

>> I think possibly another pdf plugin would need to be required when
>> doing things like a 1 to 1 file mapping with changes going on per
>> file.  I think a standard plugin for pdf output, and then someone may
>> need to create another pdf output to do more specialized things.
>

> Sorry, I'm not following you. Are you suggesting that we create a
> different plugin for every use case? Surely, a single configurable
> plugin that covers the majority of use-cases would be more sensible.
>
> Sure, there may be advanced use cases requiring editing of stylesheets
> and the like, but that it poweruser stuff. For the maojoority of users
> a configurable plugin would be just fine.

No, it's just that some PDF's might need to be handled differently than
the standard pdf.  I was thinking in terms of having a documentation
build in with the website build.  Two (somewhat) different items.  Would
the current pdf plugin allow some other process to be used in specific
instances?   For instance if a  file  'doc1' that has a stylesheet
associated with it, shouldn't the plugin use that stylesheet instead of
the standard settings?  I'm a bit uncertain as to what method would be
best.  I agree that normally 1 setting for the pdf generation would be
the norm.  But in instances where it wouldn't be the norm, shouldn't it
be easy for the user to have a file associated with what the pdf output
would be for specific documents?

>> Or possibly settings for specific files(user supplied- or a list of),
>> and a default setting.  Possibly choose you pdf output such as skin
>> for the default output.
>

> I'm totally lost here I'm afraid, could you explain some more.

I think the automatic over-ride of the standard plugin with 'this
document has a stylesheet associated with it' would make everything work
without needing another pdf-stylesheet plug in.  Although I may be
wrong.  Should it be associated with another plugin?  I'm uncertain.  Or
is this way out of line?

scott