forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Configuring output plugins (was Re: [JIRA] Commented: (FOR-409) PDF: should be able to change font size and style in skinconf.xml)
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:44:47 GMT
issues@cocoondev.org wrote:

 From FOR-409

> The following comment has been added to this issue:
>
>      Author: Ross Gardler
>     Created: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 7:33 AM
>        Body:
> The configuration of output-plugins has not yet been finalised as there is
 > still experimentation with the replacement for skins.
>
> Right now the configuration remains in skinconf.xml, which is *not* the
 > right place since that will mean skinconf.xml will have entries for
 > plugins that are not relevent.
>
> Perhaps we should have an interim solution. I'll start a thread in the lists
 > and link it back here once it appears in the archives.

OK, so how do we configure output-plugins? Here is a suggestion to get
us started:

Each plugin provides a default pluginconf.xml which contains things like
font size, page size, page-orientation (in the PDF plugin).

<pluginconf>
   <org.apache.forrest.plugin.pdf-output>
       <size>small</size>
       <family>serif</family>
     <page-orientation>portrait</page-orientation>
   </org.apache.forrest.plugin.pdf-output>
</pluginconf>

The values in this file can be overridden by a pluginconf.xml file in
the project.home. For example:

<pluginconf>
   <org.apache.forrest.plugin.pdf-output>
       <size>small</size>
       <family>serif</family>
     <page-orientation>portrait</page-orientation>
   </org.apache.forrest.plugin.pdf-output>

   <org.apache.forrest.plugin.text-output>
     <tab-width>4</tab-width>
   </org.apache.forrest.plugin.text-output>
</pluginconf>

It will not be possible to put all the skinconf.xml stuff in this file
as the skin will not know to look for it. For example, we could not use
this file to turn on/off the PDF link in HTML pages, we'll have to wait
for Fbits for this.

Ross