forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r109867 - /forrest/trunk/docs-author/content/xdocs/tabs.xml
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:41:37 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting David Crossley:
>>Dave Brondsema wrote:
>>
>>>What is the reason for having Welcome and Project tabs in docs-author?
>>
>>If we don't have them, then the docs/ pages are
>>generated with no Welcome and Project tabs, so
>>on the website there is now way to get from docs/
>>to the main site. A similar situation with the
>>"site-author", it needed the Documentation and
>>How-To tabs.
>>
>>>The link to forrest.a.o on the index page should be enough.
>>
>>Please explain more. I do not understand.
>
>>>From docs-author/index.xml there is a link to forrest.a.o which is a way to get
> to the main site.  Removing the tabs would intentionally make the Documentation
> seperate from the Site.  I explain why below

I could not see any way from the side-panel
or the tabs to get back to the main site.
A single link on the face of the page was
obscure.

>>>Also, these
>>>tab links don't work on our website and especially not if docs-author is
>>>generated locally.
>>
>>They seem to be working at the moment. I generated
>>both docs-author and site-author locally.
>
> If all I do is "forrest run" in docs-author the Project tab link is broken and
> the Welcome tab link goes to the Documentation index not a Welcome index.  I
> think our documentation should "stand on it's own" so that it can be placed
> anywhere (likely without site-author).

Okay, i was mainly interested in the website at this stage.

> Look at Apache HTTPD documentation for an example.  I think we should parallel
> their Documentation and Site seperation.

The difference is that they have the side-panel to
get back to their main website.

If you can get something better that what we have
today then please do. I decided to dive in and do it
yesterday because our website was getting very
out-of-date and confusing.

One other thing that we need to consider is to
make our documentation mirror-friendly.
www. eu.apache.org ... only the top-level and /dev/
and /foundation/ are working at the moment.
Anyway, first things first - we need our current site.

--David