forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Recommended DTD version?
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 00:58:26 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> I've been playing with HTMLarea and Cocoon Forms lately to edit XML
>> documents (not producing strings, but real XML DOM), and I started
>> building a sample to edit Cocoon docs... and found a lot of different
>> xdoc dtd versions. I would like to migrate to a consistent version.
>
> Sounds superb, I knocked together a very simple HTMLArea plugin for
> Forrest the other day. Your work sounds far better, I must take a look.
>
>> So the question is: what is the "mainstream" document DTD version? 2.0
>> is the latest, but it seems that 1.3 is used internally in Forrest. So
>> is 2.0 stable, or should we stick to 1.3?
>
> We are now writing in 2.0 the reason being that this is closer to
> XHTML2. In our next release our internal format will be a subset of
> XHTML2 (don't worry, we will be providing internal conversion from older
> formats).
>
> This XHTML2 work is very early days (planning really). So I would say
> DTD 2.0 is your best bet. Since we are moving tho the XHTML2 subset it
> is very unlikely that we will make any major changes to 2.0.

Sylvain, at Cocoon we have not yet upgraded any
of the DTDs that are used by Cocoon xdocs, so if
you look at src/webapp/WEB-INF/entities/ you will
only see the old DTDs.

We could upgrade the cocoon xdocs to use these
new DTDs because during Cocoon's 'build docs' it
calls Forrest to do the work.

However, when running Cocoon as as a webapp and using
the live documentation localhost:8888/docs/
you would notice that it uses old stylesheets that
are dependent on the old DTDs. Stuck ...

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ForrestProposal

--David