forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Plugin release process (was Re: svn commit: r109379 - /forrest/trunk/docs-author/status.xml)
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:09:48 GMT
Rick Tessner wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> However, we will need to manage the official release of plugins (which
>> should also include a publishing of the plugin documentation to the
>> website).
>>
>> How should we manage this process?
>

> At this point, I'm not sure what the manual process would be either.
> Plugins would certainly have a different release cycle than Forrest itself.
>
> I'll just start putting together a list that is by no means
> comprehensive and hopefully others will add/correct this list:
>
> 1.  Identify the Forrest releases that the plugin is compatible with.
> 2.  Deploy the plugin to the release site somehow identifying Forrest
> version compatability.
> 3.  Updating the plugin documentation for each release it is compatible
> with.
> 4.  Announcing availability of updated / new plugin.

Specifying version compatibility for skins was discussed quite a while
ago and I recall there being no satisfactory solutions (i.e. one where
we could just put files on the webserver without any sort of database,
and also handle all the combinations of version differences).

I think this is a prime example of a situation where we should look at
the way Eclipse plugins and/or Firefox extensions handle version
compatibility.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming