forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] RAW content
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:45:47 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> So, if I understand you correctly, the process is:
>
> command: forrest site
> process: look at "in use" plugins, ensure all plugins are installed
> process: pre-processing of relevant plugins (i.e. javadoc generation)
> process: start forrest
>
> Everything good so far.
>
> request: /sources/myclass.javadoc.html

Nope, this is not what I had in mind.

If the docs are pregenerated this way, then I think it could be a PITA
to try and integrate them in the "multiview" concept, and would simply
want them to be displayed as a RAW mount. (note that javadocs is not a
particularly clever example from my part, as we should make a dynamic
javadoc plugin).

[Note to myself: the lucene indexer is on par with the xref indexer and
the javadoc reference indexer... need to put them in a single mechanism]

The problem remains, that is how to mount completely RAW content.

Let's see this from another POV: we have a directory containing an old
site that I want to be included in the output as-is for historical reasons.

It seems to me that having some metadata that says that that dir is RAW
content should be enough... which brings us to how to declare this
metadata... another TR :-)  (you're Mr. Plugin, I'm MR. RT ;-)

> One last problem (with a suggestion...)
>
> We still need to pregenerate the files, so the plugin still has a
> "preprocess" target, problem is, /forrest run/ will be slow if we do the
> preprocessing up front.
>
> I would therefore propose that we do not do any pre-processing on
> /forrest run/ (only on /forrest site/). The plugin should be intelligent
> enough to put a placeholder in place if it could do the preprocessing,
> but has not done so. It should also be capable of using a previously
> generated set of documents, possibly inserting a warning stating they
> may not be up to date. This should be sufficient for testing.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -