forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Templating language - forrest:templates and Struts Tiles
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:56:14 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
<snip part="something it seems we agree on"/>

>>>So are nuggets.
>>No, nuggets are not skin dependant. We could argue that fbits are not
>>skin dependant either but *format* dependent, but it will get too
>>confusing ;-)
> The *existenz* of nuggets and fbits is indeed skin independent. Both
> nuggets and fbits are *format* (or better view) dependant which makes
> them skin (=view!) dependend. The skin will for different formats use
> different nuggets and fbits.

> A view (skin) for a mobile device will filter different content because
> it will display different content from the site. e.g. our pdf do not
> need the navigtion and filters it out.
> Nevertheless you can group this atomic parts as well within an grouping
> template.
> <forrest:template name="sports" output-format="xhtml">
> <forrest:hook name="sports">
>   <forrest:fbit name="search-input" type="sports"/>
>   <forrest:nugget name="sportNews"/>
> </forrest:hook>
> </forrest:template>
> This can be different for another output-format.
> <forrest:template name="sports" output-format="fo">
> <forrest:hook name="sports">
>   <forrest:nugget name="sportNewsAbstract"/>
> </forrest:hook>
> </forrest:template>

IMV these are defined in what I have called "theme", that is pure view
without inserting the functionality that instead has been inserted in
the skin phase.

> This templates then can be easily overridden and adjust by designer. The
> idea is that the designer can add his own implementation of the
> contracts.

There are two things I want to have your opinion about, and how to
insert them in the above scenario:

1 - Users should be able to add nuggest without changing skin or theme.
     For example, adding an extra newsfeed on the right hand side.
2 - Content filtering. Let's say I want to colorize java code...

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -