forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: code vs. talk
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:01:51 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>> I was in #kde-devel yesterday and saw the title was "development
>> happens in CVS, we discuss politics here".
>>
>> We've been doing a lot of talk lately here (more than I have time to
>> read, personally).  Our policy is "commit then review"

That's the commit policy for small changes. Bigger ones should be done
knowing that we are following community consensus.

> I agree that we need to do more "commit then review".
> However, please be sure that the changes do not break
> the build system because this prevents other people
> working on the codebase. Do 'build test' first.

Yes, I definately agree. Not breaking builds makes it easier for others
to contribute. We could call it quasi-static development ;-)

>> Certainly talking here about big changes is good, but if nobody's
>> planning on following it up directly with code, what's the point?
>
> Because some issues need discussion before the developer
> can prepare the patch and this lets the rest of us
> know what the plan is.
>
> There is a trade-off.
>
> This "patch-then-review" process needs to be qualified.
> Developers need to be sure to provide a clear log message
> to accompany the patch, so that we all know the purpose
> and the consequences. Also add documentation where
> possible. Then, if it is really necessary, we can
> discuss later.

Yes.

In fact, I have started these discussions after seeing that some of my
changes on the dir structure had -correctly- created confusion and that
we are in need of synchronizing our development agenda.

The Forrest 1.0 document is the structure, not the implementation nor
the features, which will continue to be done more with CTR.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -