forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: (howto DTD) List of open ended threads ... to be extended!
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:19:08 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
> DB> The HowTo DTD is a simple document we developed for Forrest.  If you
> DB> want complete functionality, DocBook was designed to handle exactly
> DB> that.  See if it fits your needs.
>
> Well, my point is, that we have a HowTo-DTD that should be used to
> write HowTos (and that I find very useful). So using another dtd is
> neither required nor really what we want, is it?

:-)

> The only issue that I have with it is, that there is no distinction
> between the instruction-part of a step and other paragraphs explaining
> the result of the step or introducing the instruction.
>
> And in a dtd that was specifically created to write howtos I think that
> is vital. Not just to be able to render it differently (which can be
> accomplished with style as well) but also because XML should express
> function as cleanly as possible.

Agreed.

Since we are redefining all of Forrest, we need to define a new schema
for this to be used with all html flavors.

Let me explain.

Since we will move to XHTML2 for our intermediate format, and since it
uses RelaxNG for validation, it would seem natural to make the HowTo a
RelaxNG schema that can have XHTML2 embedded.

Only that this prevents us from using XHTML1 and simple HTML for writing
  HowTos... unless we define a special compatibility layer for them.

A possible implementation would be to use <div>s with special class
attributes, that get transformed internally to the namespaced HowTo tags.

Another one would be to use special words and formatting to do the same,
which would make it very easy to write them:

  <h2>Steps</h2>
  <h3>Open your Forrest</h3>
  <h3>Open the CSS-Sidebar</h3>
  ...etc