forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About RAW content
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:43:06 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>> If you have a tree like this:
>>
>> content/
>>         xdocs/
>>               samples/
>>         /samples
>>
>> All the files under the second samples directory will break.
>>
> Ouch.  That's going to be a big hurt I think.  I think locationmaps
> would be able to help here, but they're not scheduled until a few
> releases from now (of course we can always change that) and I am not
> real sure how they work.

Locationmaps and raw files are a different issue.

Locationmaps will make Forrest see the sources as a single directory,
while giving the user to be able to conceptually mount other dirs and
protocols in specific directories.

For conceptual easiness, we can assume that we have a single source
directory; the problem remaining: RAW files.

IIRC RAW files were introduced for two reasons:

  1 - be able to reference a file without Forrest touching it
  2 - be able to reference a set of files without having them linked

For point one IMHO our best bet is to add a raw=true attribute to
site.xml, or simply refer to them as file.source.html.

The second point is the most tricky one, as ATM we are using ANT to copy
the files, and with the locationmap, that can be referenced from
anywhere. Thus we have to find a solution within Forrest. I have not yet
thought about it, suggestions are welcome.

Here is a typical use case:
"
We have to insert in the Forrest site the javadocs that have been
generated before the forrest run. With the locationmap I can tell
Forrest to go fetch them in a particular directory (typically the build
dir), and mount them in /apidocs/.

We don't want forrest to traverse them, just to copy all of them.
Where do we say this? How can Forrest do it *without* Ant?
"

In any case, this will remove the raw directory altogether.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -