forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] plugin infrastructure
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:28:08 GMT
Sean Wheller wrote:
> Perhaps a solution is to force some level of filesystem organization on users.
> By this I mean, that if a user has Docbook files, then they should store them
> in the same folder.

This is the "old" way, and we have favored an approach that does not
force users to scatter files in different paths. Having all files in the
same path is more simple and reflects output.

> Forrest would need properties to be provided so that supported content types
> are mapped or associated with 0 or more paths.

Associating with paths or with extension/DTDs is an equipollent problem,
and easily solvable: in fact Forrest already does it without problems.

The biggest problem is how plugins are to interact with each other, and
have the output of a plugin be piped into another plugin.

In fact, with the old Cocoon 1.x it was trivial to do so, as it used
content PIs to react and do the correct transformation. With a more
declarative sitemap, it becomes more difficult to understand how to do
so elegantly.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -