forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Skins] Leather-dev vs. scale-dev
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:53:23 GMT
Diwaker Gupta escribió:
>>I could do this easily: it's just that if we decide to put the search
>>box outside of branding, there's no user-accessible option of changing
>>it back to inside the branding outside of two things:
>>   a) Edit the CSS to position:absolute it into position (which looks
>>bad in anything other than the browser I design it for, and it floats),
>>or:
>>   b) Edit the XSL to move it into the desired physical position.
>>
>>Theoretically, there are an unlimited number of positions where the
>>search box can reside, but the problem is that CSS cannot position them
>>(position:absolute or position:relative will always float an object).
>>I'm sure you people can think of something clever to put in skinconf.xml
>>that will resemble <search position="nav" /> and position it somewhere,
>>but I don't know enough about it to be able to edit it in. This could
>>cause debate: I think that the search box should be inside branding
>>simply because it _visually_ belongs there. I think that the tabs should
>>be there too.
>

> I agree with Shaun here. Even I had a go at placing the search box
> "correctly" using just CSS, but it doesn't work. Sure its a challenge,
> but CSS was really not meant so much for "positioning" as for generic
> layouts. Absolute positioning sucks (and breaks with browsers,
> resolution, changing window size and what not) so we don't want to go
> that way. Relative positioning also floats things around beyond our
> control.

Ok, have a look at [1]

I thought about that and agree to your arguments.

> Having search inside branding makes sense.

Regarding naming conventions it does not make sense [2].

<snip>
#branding (i)
Container used for a header and banner to brand the site.
</snip>

I will correct that because it should point more out that all elements
that brand a site should be dropped in this container. Also see [3].

Search is not branding a site, that is the reason why it does not make
sense to have it within the _semantic_ branding container.

> We are still sticking with
> the naming convention,

Not really and this is the problem that I had back a month ago [1].
Mixing up semantic and visual container brought us where we are right now.

> ...But it makes it a lot
> easier to write new (and better looking) skins if one doesn't have to
> worry about the search box floating around.

I agree that we maybe have to introduce the hook concept of [1]. I am
preparing a [RT] about how we can solve this situation. I have an idea
but want to think about it a wee bit more.