forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: website documentation version
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:20:56 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:

I have thought now that probably it's best to do away with aliases too,
as it would generate two identical docs, and google would 'dilute' the
indexing on two identical versions.

>>--------------------
>>Source SVN space
>>--------------------
>>
>>svn://forrest
>>           /trunk
>>              /site (the current website)
>>              /docs (the current documentation)
>>           /branches
>>              /0.6
>>                /site (the 0.6 website)
>>                /docs (the 0.6 documentation)
>>              /0.5
>>                /site (the 0.5 website)
>>                /docs (the 0.5 documentation)
>>

> The source space should only have /docs, not /site.  /site files should be in
> the published SVN space.

Oops, I have not been clear. With site here I mean site sources, like
was with the incubator CVS (or our trunk ATM).

>>-----------------------------
>>The published SVN space ...
>>-----------------------------
>>
>>svn://forrest
>>          /site (generated from svn://forrest/trunk/site)
>
> Doesn't this need to be generated from some /docs directory, not some /site
> directory?  These "main docs" are a whole forrest site, where is the source for
> them held?

I have used 'site' with two meanings, sorry.

Here is a more clear naming (using Incubator SVN naming this time ;-):

--------------------
Source SVN space
--------------------

svn://forrest
            /trunk
               /site-author (the current website sources)
               /docs-author (the current documentation sources)
            /branches
               /0.6
                 /site-author (the 0.6 website sources)
                 /docs-author (the 0.6 documentation sources)

-----------------------------
The published SVN space ...
-----------------------------

svn://forrest
           /site-publish (generated from svn://forrest/trunk/site-author)
              /docs
                /dev     (generated from svn://forrest/trunk/docs-author)
                /0.6     (generated from
svn://forrest/branches/0.6/docs-author)

--------------------
The web space ...
--------------------

/www/forrest.apache.org/
... the 'svn checkout' of svn://forrest/site-publish/

Note that site-author, docs-author, and site-publish are names used to
explain, not necessarily the real names we'll use.

>>Drawbacks:
>>
>>The branches contain a copy of the main site which has to be kept
>>uptodate with the trunk as long as the branch is active.

                        - = -

What I envision is that when updating the site one does:

   cd site-author
   forrest publish

And the site is generated and if SUCCESSFUL it's automatically imported to:

  svn://forrest/site-publish

For the docs:

   cd docs-author
   forrest publish

And the site is generated and if SUCCESSFUL it's automatically imported to:

  svn://forrest/site-publish/docs/dev

Then a cron job simply does an svn update forrest www.

It would be a great feature, and would make it trivial to then update
the site, keeping it all easy. It should be doable by putting the
forrestbot deploy step in forrest itself, and have forrestbot use that
instead.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -