forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: packaging our tools
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:29:15 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> I'm working on writing documentation for end-user installation of the XXE
> configuration (in tools/xxe).
>
> The buildfile there builds a .zip which people can simply extract into
> c:\program files\XMLmind_XML_Editor\config.
>
> If we build a release of forrest, what happens to this .zip file?  I
> imagine it would be something like this:
> * As part of the main forrest build, the XXE build.xml is called

* The .zip file that is created in build/xxe.zip

> * Everything (src, and built files (build/xml-forrest.jar and the .zip in
> question) is packed in to one apache-forrest-0.7-dev.zip

I'm ok with this, and we can add that we should also release the jar and
the zip separately.

> And can we make this .zip file available seperate from forrest?  There is
> a current need for this since 0.6 does not include a built XXE
> configuration.  Future need may continue to exist, because people may want
> to edit document-v13/20 files without installing forrest.  This is the
> case at the company I work for, because the writers commit their changes
> to CVS and then we run forrestbot on our server.

I took a look at the sources, and it seems that the only think that does
not need Forrest to be usable is the xxe tool (oh, and forrestbar).

For these, which are not subprojects but just extra tools, I agree that
it does not make sense in having them necessarily packaged only with
Forrest.

The only thing to take care is to include the license and notice files
in the zip, oh, and in the jar too.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -