forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Skins] Leather-dev vs. scale-dev
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:50:00 GMT
Shaun Evans wrote:
> IMHO, and I mean no offense by saying this, I would like to see
> scale-dev used because it _works_, whereas leather-dev doesn't (from the
> viewers' point of view).

To have your skin used by any Forrest user, you can publish it anywhere
on the web and we will add a link to it so that users can have it
automatically installed if they want to use it. The skin system was made
so that skin writers would not have to put their skin in Forrest to have
it published.

  http://forrest.apache.org/docs/skin-package.html

Why don't we keep all skins in Forrest? Because they have to be
maintained, and we have seen that the skins that are not actively
managed by Forrest committers are not kept up to date, and we had to
delete them because with time and with the internal changes they became
unusable.

We are now trying to make a single skin that can be customized only with
CSS. This is the effort we are doing for our internal skin, and I think
Thorsten assumed that by wanting the skin to be used inside Forrest you
wanted to help in the realization of this new CSS-based skin.

My suggestion would be that you publish the current skin somewhere on
the web so that users can start using it (just tell us the relevant
information), and then give us a hand in trying to find the best
solution for leather-dev. For example, the fact that you found it
intimidating is something to think about. Keep it coming! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -