forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: website documentation version
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:31:49 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Summary of the discussion so far. None of it is yet agreed.
> Please revise, if needed.
>
> The generated docs come from each separate release branch.

 From the 'tag' I suppose, as a tag denotes a release (it seems you mean
the same thing). Plus one for the trunk.

> The top-level docs are in a separate repository for
> global things like the homepage, the example sites,
> the mailing list and other community-type info.

Hmmm... I want to also keep the top-level docs that were used for a
release...

> Some docs (faq.* and build.*) would move into the
> version-specific at docs/faq.html etc.
 >
> The branch docs have a warning banner.

With a like to the latest released docs.

> Do we keep the old past release docs online forever?

Good question. IMHO we should keep the latest release docs plus the
trunk docs. More than that can make indexing servers mix up the pages.

> The current ASF publishing is still done by storing the
> generated docs in SVN repositories. This might change later
> to use a staging server and rsync, or even a live server
> as Cocoon is now contemplating. Not yet.
>
> --------------------
> The web space ...
> --------------------
 > --------------------
 > The SVN space ...
 > --------------------

I was thinking of something different, but I'm still not sure... I have
rewritten this mail three times and understand that it's not so trivial
as it may seem, so I'll think out loud :-)

The idea is to keep *all* the source docs in forrest/trunk/**, and
checkout the site with a single svn co.

['svn://forrest' is used as a short version of
                            https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest]

--------------------
Source SVN space
--------------------

svn://forrest
           /trunk
              /site (the only website)

-----------------------------
The published SVN space ...
-----------------------------

svn://forrest
          /site
             /trunk
             /tags
               /0.6
               /0.7

The site trunk contains

svn://
   forrest/
      trunk/  (generated from svn://forrest/trunk/site )
       devdocs/ (contained in the generated trunk docs)
      docs/ (copied from svn://forrest/site/tags/$latestversion/devdocs)

When a release is made, the documentation is generated one last time and
checked in under the trunk.

Then a tag $latestversion is made, and svn://forrest/docs is copied from
svn://forrest/site/tags/$latestversion/devdocs.

The web space ...

/www/forrest.apache.org/
... the 'svn checkout' of svn://forrest/site/trunk/

             - verba volant, scripta manent -