forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVN reorg: take 2
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 06:18:47 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> We had a discussion at Apache a year ago, and the result was that
>> umbrella projects are not the future. AFAIK IIUC it's the current view
>> of the board also now.
>
> Ok, I wasn't aware of that.  The subprojects we might have would be
> quite small though.

Actually I wasn't aware you weren't aware (no pun intended).

>> Let me ask you a question: have you ever used forrestbar?
>> Better: all Forrest developers that have used it raise your hands.
>
> No.  And I'm not aware of any redeeming value in it.  Would anybody shed
> a tear if it mysteriously dissappeared? :-)

Ok, then it means that it's one of those subprojects that is not part of
the community. One can decide to incorporate it in the main tool or get
rid of it. I wanna get rid of it at Forrest.

>> Same question: forrestbot?
>
> Yes, and this will (maybe) be part of the ASF website publishing process
> that David has proposed.

My answer is no, and the same for Davis I have seen. Then it may mean
that it's one of those subprojects that is not part of the community.
One can decide to incorporate it in the main tool or get rid of it. I
wanna incorporate it more, as it's vital to Forrest.

We must strive to make all or at least most developers take care of all
the codebase, or else we will rely on a single person.

> I think I've been convinced.  I would've liked to see this second
> discussion before the changes went into SVN, though.

Sorry, I thought that we were on the same wavelength, and since I have
very little time lately to contribute, I just went along.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -