forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject SVN reorg: take 2
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 12:55:04 GMT

The first reorg ahs been needed but is not enough. Other dirs need
placement and have not been yet discussed, and we need to define the
subproject development. I have started, but let's talk about it here
before I continue: below are the points.

1 - Forrest projects are not indipendent

We are delivering a single product called Forrest, that is internally
composed of subprojects. Our release cycle is based on this product;
however we may have interim releases of subprojects in case it's deemed
necessary.

2 - We are not an umbrella project

Umbrella projects are dying at Apache. Jakarta and XML have spun off
many projects and are still doing so: we are one of them  :-)
This means that we must not reconfigure ourselves to be an umbrella
project, and we must strive to remain unite.

3 - We shall have a single bin dir

This comes as part of the above, and from use feedback that usually
products have a top level bin dir. This also means setting the
FORREST_HOME the top level directory of Forrest.

4 - Move the main documentation under the forrest root

IOW from

  forrest/forrestcore/src/documentation

  forrest/site

5 - have a single jar repository + no legal dir

As a PMC we have the obbligation to check for the license of what we
distribute. To make it easier I propose that we remove the legal dir and
put all license files in the lib dir, alongside the jars themselves.

The lib dir should be under the forrest root, so that anyone checking
the dirs easily knows where to look -> it makes it more evident hence
transparent.

This will also mean moving under lib the jetty and the ant dirs, that
are now under tools.

6 - Refactor forretcore

  a - rename 'forrestcore' to 'main' (like in Ant)
  b - move documentation to 'forrest/site' (point 4)
  c - move 'core' down two dirs (goes in 'main')
  d - rename 'context' as 'webapp'
  e - move java up one level

In practice, the contents of forrestcore become:

forrest/
       bin/
       site/
       main/
         java/
         webapp/
         fresh-site/
         tasks/
         var/
         targets/

             - = 0 = -

There is only one problem here, that is making interim releases of
subprojects if the new release needs a new jar.

This can be solved with the download of dependencies from a repository
or with the addition of the libs in the distro, or by deciding that
interim releases should not change jar dependencies.

Thoughts?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -