forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: convert to document-v20.dtd
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2004 05:54:41 GMT
On Nov 5, 2004, at 4:38 PM, David Crossley wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> I see there are some tools,
>
> Yes some old ones, probably not needed.
>
> Some recent ones which are probably still used
> ... do grep *.xmap to find where.
>
> Some still needed. Thanks for doing
> http://issues.cocoondev.org//browse/FOR-352
> "New conversion tools (docv12 + docv13 => docv20)"

Cheers!

>> but I'm confused:
>>
>> [clay@Clay-Leeds-Computer forrest]$ find . -iname *todoc*
>> ./main/webapp/resources/stylesheets/docv10todocv11.xsl
>> ./main/webapp/resources/stylesheets/docv20todocv12.xsl
>> ./main/webapp/resources/stylesheets/docv20todocv13.xsl
>>
>> I want to convert from docv12todocv20 but there doesn't seem to be
>> one... are those last two just poorly named? Who would want to go
>> backwards? Or is this a case of "maybe 'someone' can do a PATCH"? ;-)
>>
>> (NOPE! I just checked, and I see that those do actually convert from
>> docv20 to docv13/12... hmmm!)
>
> 'svn log docv20todocv13.xsl' reveals that they were part
> of issues FOR-174 which might provide some clues. When you
> find out, we should patch the head of those *.xsl with
> a brief comment as to purpose.
>
> ------
> Add missing files from revision 23140.
> Issue: FOR-174
> Submitted by: Rick Tessner
> ------

I saw them, but I couldn't figure out *why* they were needed. As I said
previously, I can understand needing to go from 1.2 & 1.3 to 2.0, but
not the other way...

>> Looks like we need someone to make some
>> new files...
>>
>> :-)
>
> I am confused, please explain.

Sorry. Humor can be tough to get through on this here mailing list
thing:

   Looks like we need someone (insert 'someone like me!' here)
   to make some new files...

Immediately after I wrote that, I went ahead and made those files. I
don't know how they'll be used, though. It would be nice for someone
(probably *not* me :-)) to enable /forrest convert-docv13todocv20/ to
convert the files.

> You also say above "want to convert from docv12todocv20".
> I wonder if a "docv1todocv20" would handle v1.3 and v1.2

It should! That would be even better! I guess we just need to add the
@class.

> The other issue is how these tools would get used.
> In the past we have used an Ant build task to do
> batch conversions of xdocs and store the resulting
> set of documents into a build directory. This was
> developed early in Forrest to transform the Cocoon
> documentation to upgraded DTDs.

Looks like FOR-174 was done in July 2004 so it's not too old.

> I have a feeling that we left that old work in the
> CVS Attic of the old "xml-forrest" CVS. Searching
> the mail archives would find it. Diana Shannon
> was the main driver. One thread is:
>
>> From: Diana Shannon <shannon<AT>apache.org>
>> To: forrest-dev<AT>xml.apache.org
>> Subject: Cocoon docs transition report