forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: smart update
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:48:22 GMT
On Nov 19, 2004, at 7:04 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>> Forrest cannot really know what the sources of files are.  I mean,
>> often files are generated from a static xml file, but because we use
>> Cocoon, people could have custom sitemaps which generate pages from a
>> database, or people could use the RSS feeder plugin.  How could
>> forrest know about  which files need to be re-rendered?
>
> True.
>
> We could implement a partial solution. Look for common source files
> (*.xml), if they exist, and are newer then add the link to the
> linkmap.html file. Any link for which we do not find a source file in
> the project document space we would assume it is dirty and therefore
> regenerate anyway.
>
> In most projects this would work for the vast majority of pages.

And for when one needs only one file, the following command is nice:

forrest -Dproject.start-uri=filename.html

And if you need a couple more, you could just [Ctrl+C] and then change
the filename.html...

(BTW, does the above work for subfolders: forrest
-Dproject.start-uri=samples/ihtml-sample.html? And does it work for
generating PDF files?).

It might be nice to be able to pass more than one file, with a
separator:

forrest
-Dproject.start-uri=compliance.html,compliance.html,samples/ihtml-
sample.html,samples/ihtml-sample.pdf,index.html,index.pdf

>> That said, I think this could be implemented at the Cocoon level with
>> caching.  Cocoon knows about it's own pipelines so it could know
>> whether the generators used in a pipeline are dynamic or not.  I
>> can't remember for sure, but I think this caching is used when for
>> 'forrest run', but not for seperate runs of 'forrest site'.  We'd
>> have to investigate to see if a cache could be re-used.
>
> This is a better solution, but I have no idea how to implement that
> one.
>
> Ross

Web Maestro Clay
--