forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re[2]: Duplicate code
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:38:36 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

RG> It is intended that plugins will have separate release cycles, yes. In
RG> fact, it is intended that other projects will develop plugins, in this
RG> case We would have no influence over their release cycle.

RG> See the work starting with Lenya with respect to this. It is my hope
RG> that, eventually, Lenya will be pluggable into Forrest through our
RG> plugins framework.

Then it seems sensible to have a separate section of a site
for every plugin.

How about setting up a separate Forrest where group is Forrest and
Project is plugins with a separate tab for every plugin.

Below it, a first subtab for general unchanging info, release infos etc and
then to the right of it, further subtabs for every release of that
plugin (as long as they are still needed).

In the menus of these subtabs would be the downloads itself plus all
version specific documentation.

That way, all projects could easily refer to the plug-ins and refer to
specific releases of it, which seems important when I look at other
projects and see how often a new version of say Firefox will no work
with a certain plugin version.

= BTW: Does forrests plugin-interface have the ability to not allow
       untested plugins to be installed. I found that in Firefox an
       annoying yet very valuable feature since it keeps support from
       drowning in plugin related question.

So always referring to the latest stable version doesn't seem to make
a lot of sense, instead the link from say Forrest to a plugin should
only be (manuelly) updated when the new version was tested with
Forrest and found to be working.

--
Ferdinand Soethe