forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: xml-fop Build Failed
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:51:27 GMT
On Nov 4, 2004, at 5:37 PM, David Crossley wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> In any case, my CRITICAL problem is that the Compliance Page renders
>> no
>> content (other than the site structure, nav links, etc.).
>
> That sounds like you have now properly configured
> the DTD and the catalog entity resolver.

Yup!

> The two remaining causes would be your sitemap.xmap
> or your compliance2document.xsl stylesheet.

A good assumption.

> I clipped this from the sitemap that you attached
> earlier in this thread. Is that the latest?
> It does not match the examples.
> You seem to have a mixture of the basic solution:
> http://localhost:8888/docs/your-project.html#adding_new_content_type
> and the advanced solution:
> http://localhost:8888/docs/your-project.html#adding_new_content_type_2

That's entirely possible. I spent some time trying to weed out the
problems, and when I stopped getting errors, I thought I was 'done'
(except for the 'little' problem that compliance.html still has no real
content).

> ---- clip from xml-fop sitemap ----
>       <map:match pattern="**compliance.xml">
>         <map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}{1}compliance.xml"/>
>         <map:act type="sourcetype"
> src="{project:content.xdocs}{1}compliance.xml">
>           <map:transform
> src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/compliance2html.xsl"/>
>         </map:act>
>         <map:serialize type="xml"/>
>       </map:match>
> ------------------------------------
>
> You just need the proper syntax for the "basic solution".

So the new, improved version should be:

---- clip from xml-fop sitemap ----
       <map:match pattern="**compliance.xml">
         <map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}{1}compliance.xml"/>
           <map:transform
src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/compliance2html.xsl" />
         <map:serialize type="xml"/>
       </map:match>
------------------------------------

wait a minute... I just noticed two different XSL files:

<map:transform
src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/compliance2html.xsl" />

and

<map:transform
src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/compliance2document.xsl" />

I changed it to compliance2document.xsl and did a run /forrest/ run!

> The "advanced solution" is for when you need to detect
> different versions of the "Apache FOP Compliance DTD"
> and transform each type accordingly.

Thanks for the clarification. But how is that a combination of Basic
and Advanced? It looks like I just did the Advanced solution.

> The other issue that i see, is that you need to transform
> from your "compliance" document type into the internal
> Forrest "Apache Document-v1*" document type. I have not
> seen your stylesheet "compliance2html.xsl" but its name
> suggests that you are skipping the vital internal transformation
> and going straight to "html" output. However, i might be
> mistaken and it is just a bad choice of filename.

Yeah... I just noticed that too (see above...). As for how the
compliance.xml format, it's a *completely* different beast (hence the
new DTD!). I don't know how it works... I'm just hoping I won't have to
re-create the darn thing (have you taken a look at it[1]?. It would be
akin to hand-crafting the Forrest Document-v20.dtd file... by *hand*!
Egads! I am not excited about the possibility to have to do that
(159,978 bytes)!

Scratch that! Changing to:

<map:transform
src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/compliance2document.xsl" />

improved the Compliance page! We have content! It's not 'there' yet, as
it's missing the Table of Contents (which is particularly important on
this page, since each item must be referenced for navigability--again,
see[1]).

[1] FOP Standards Compliance
http://xml.apache.org/fop/compliance.html

Web Maestro Clay