forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lenya may start using Forrest Plugins
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:16:07 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> 2-Lenya is the "content manager". On the other hand, Forrest can be viewed
> as a content generator.

I see it differently, Forrest is a content publisher, it does not
generate the content only a representation of the content.

> The content generated by Forrest must be managed
> by Lenya.

For me Lenya is a tool for content generation (driven by the user).

Lenya = excellent content managment
Forrest = excellent publishing engine

Lenya + Forrest = Killer App

> In that way, we need to "attach" Forrest to Lenya and no the
> oposite.

This is just semantics, it is best for us to steer away from such
terminology as it will only generate (probably unspoken) arguments about
which is the most important part. Lenya and Forrest both do vital and
different jobs.

> That means we need to develop some tools that Lenya will use to
> "know how" call the tools and Forrest need to provide a support for this
> tools called by Lenya.

Forrest is driven, in its entirety, from URI requests. There is no need
for Forrest to provide any additional support (pending further
experimentation of course).

> 3-Forrest need to be able to generate only a desired document. Lenya will
> "tell" Forrest wich one by running the forrest tools.

It already does, just request the document you want (for example
http://localhost:8888/mydoc.pdf or http://localhost:8888/mydoc.html)

> 4-From Lenya can be posible to call Forrest in the same way as we call use
> case. Here Flowscript can play an important role.

(I don't know what you mean by "call use case", but in responding to the
flowscript comment I say - Too complicated, just make a request to a URI
at the appropriate place in a controlling sitemap.

> 5-An interesting point to be solved is how to merge the Lenya "sitetree"
> with Forrest site.xml and tabs.xml.

Write a Forrest plugin to generate site.xml and tabs.xml from sitetree
(see IMSManifest plugin as an example, this creates site.xml and
tabs.xml from an IMS Manifest file).

> Another posible solution is a
> synchronization of all this files or perhaps we can "forget about the tabs
> and site in the beggining and let lenya manage it. I am not sure if this
> will be more easy or complicated. I am also thinking that another
> posibility to include in this point the "linkmap.html" that forrest
> currently generate.

It seems to me that in all of your points you are thinking of Forrest
running in a static mode, switch your thinking to Forrest running in a
dynamic mode and everything becomes much easier (interestingly this is
where you started by saying Forrest and Lenya can run in the same Cocoon
instance).

>                                 -- 0 --
>
> The other posible solution is import into Lenya some forrest plugins and
> similar as above let Lenya manage everything.

This is my thinking entirely. Unfortunately I do not understand Lenya
enough yet to fully understand how easy/difficult this would be. I keep
sitting down trying to do something with Lenya and then get distracted.
Soon though...

>                                 -- 0 --
>
> We need to start with a low profile if we want to make both work together.
> ;-)
>
> WDYT?

I agree that a low profile is required until we actualy have something
working. The more I look at the way Lenya works the more difficult it
seems, but I am sure I will "get it" soon. So where you say "both work
together" there are at least three of us ;-)

Ross

Ross