forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] RAW content
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:32:11 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

> Let's see this from another POV: we have a directory containing an old
> site that I want to be included in the output as-is for historical reasons.
>
> It seems to me that having some metadata that says that that dir is RAW
> content should be enough... which brings us to how to declare this
> metadata... another TR :-)  (you're Mr. Plugin, I'm MR. RT ;-)

So that brings me back to the include/exclude patterns. There have been
two suggestions on where to put them so far:

1) site.xml attributes - not favored by some as it will clutter that
file, also because site.xml may be generated from another source.
Another problem is that if a page is not linked from site.xml (but is
linked from a page) then there is nowhere to put the attribute.

2) forrest.properties in project.raw.content.include and
project.raw.content.exclude properties - not favored by some because it
is too inflexible (not sure this claim has been justified yet, and
certainly it works for ant in filesets)

A third possibility that is a marrying of the two is elements in
site.xml to make it much more like the Ant fileset idea, like this:

<!-- everything in old_site directory -->
<rawContent dir="/old_site/**"/>

<!-- everything in 0.6_docs, except the forums -->
<rawContent dir="/0.6_docs/**">
   <exclude name="forums/**"/>
</rawContent>

<!-- everything in 0.6_docs, except all files in forums except the
index.html file -->
<rawContent dir="/0.6_docs/**">
   <exclude name="forums/**"/>
   <exclude name="forums/**/index.html"/>
</rawContent>

This leaves site.xml easily readable, allows such content to be provided
in an external file if there is no way of generating it from another
type of site descriptor file and allows us to describe pages not linked
to in site.xml.

Ross