forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] RAW content
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:31:05 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El vie, 26-11-2004 a las 12:41, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>>IIRC RAW files were introduced for two reasons:
>>>
>>> 1 - be able to reference a file without Forrest touching it
>>> 2 - be able to reference a set of files without having them linked
>>>
>>>For point one IMHO our best bet is to refer to them as file.source.html.
>>>
>>>The second point is the most tricky one, as ATM we are using ANT to copy
>>>the files, and with the locationmap, that can be referenced from
>>>anywhere. Thus we have to find a solution within Forrest.
>>
>><snip/>
>>
>>>IOW, I have to say
>>>
>>>  "this and this and these files are to be:
>>>            (kept raw||havethe pdf generated||whatever)"
>>>
>>>IMHO we need a configuration file that describes these configurations
>>>for sets of files.
>>>
>>>Ideas?
>>
>>This looks similar to the issue of selective pdf generation (only add
>>the pdf button to certain pages within the document structure). For this
>>we proposed a set of parameters in forrest.properties that defined
>>include and exclude patterns. For example:
>>
>>forrest.pdf.button.include = **.html, documentation/index.html
>>forrest.pdf.button.exclude = **/index.html
>>

> IMO that is too inflexible!
>
> IMO that have to go to site.xml as new @attribute. This way the user
> have absolute freedom.

Been there, discussed that at great length:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=110042602813087&w=2

I don't recommend reading the whole thread, here is a "highlight" that
is specifically relevant to a site.xml solution (chosen since it is not
my post):

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=110049512702336&w=2

Don't forget, this is exactly what Ant uses, very successfully, in its
fileset patterns (and other places). With this configuration you can do
*anything*, I challenge you to give an example otherwise (then I'll let
it go, I promise).

> The only thing is 2 that would not be posible with the site.xml
> approach.

Interesting, the "inflexible" solution above can achieve this :-P

Ross