forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] RAW content
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:41:13 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> IIRC RAW files were introduced for two reasons:
>
>  1 - be able to reference a file without Forrest touching it
>  2 - be able to reference a set of files without having them linked
>
> For point one IMHO our best bet is to refer to them as file.source.html.
>
> The second point is the most tricky one, as ATM we are using ANT to copy
> the files, and with the locationmap, that can be referenced from
> anywhere. Thus we have to find a solution within Forrest.

<snip/>

> IOW, I have to say
>
>   "this and this and these files are to be:
>             (kept raw||havethe pdf generated||whatever)"
>
> IMHO we need a configuration file that describes these configurations
> for sets of files.
>
> Ideas?

This looks similar to the issue of selective pdf generation (only add
the pdf button to certain pages within the document structure). For this
we proposed a set of parameters in forrest.properties that defined
include and exclude patterns. For example:

forrest.pdf.button.include = **.html, documentation/index.html
forrest.pdf.button.exclude = **/index.html

The parameters would be optional, the default for include would be
**.html and exclude would be null.

This works on the assumption that there will be groups of files that can
be included and excluded and therefore easily specified using RE's. I
think the same assumption can be made here. So we get:

forrest.raw.files = javadocs/**.*

We can then build an internal plugin to handle the copying of raw files:

<map:read src="..."/>

Ross