forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: License question
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:07:23 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>> IANAL, but I would put a thanks anyway, be it in CREDITS or NOTICE.
>>
>> However, their license specifically says that we
>> are not allowed to use their name without their
>> written permission.
>>
>> One sees other licenses where the licensor specifically
>> says that we *must* display the name in a prominent
>> location. Those are the only occasions that i have
>> added them to the NOTICE.txt file.
>
> I read that to mean we can't use it in a marketing sense. I have added
> them to the NOTICE.txt file should I remove it?

Why risk it? Some might look upon the NOTICE.txt file
as a place to advertise. My approach when i did the
massive license tidy-up and move to AL2, was to only
put entries in there when it was one of their license
conditions. If we change that approach, then we are
going to need to revisit all of the licenses.

If we change tack, then how are we going to distinguish
between a licensor that *demands* a notice and those
that demand *no use* of their name. Not worth the confusion,
i reckon.

One thing that we definitely need is some words of
clarification in the top of the NOTICE.txt file.

(P.S. Sorry about the time problem with my email
I am trying hard to fix the one-hour delay.)

--David