forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Commented: (FOR-368) Add ihtml to "Deprecation of .ehtml and .ihtml" reference
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:59:15 GMT

Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>>
>>> plus, from the user point of view:
>>>
>>> When HttpRequest = source then give it as is.
>>> When HttpRequest = supportedFormat then try to tranform it.
>>

>> The problem is that a request for somePage.html is a request for an
>> HTML page, it does not say wether it should be skinned or not.
>>
> well, think about a png file. If the file is in the directory give it as
> is. if not try to transform a svg file, if not give an error.
>
> This rule seems to be applied to other formats like pdf, so doing a
> transformation on html is an exception.
>
> To avoid change the extension on all your html files a use-html-as-ihtml
> property can be set.

Yes, I nearly suggested that in my original reply, but didn't, I wanted
to see if there was an alternative.

> So we need to find out:
>
> should be keep diferent extensions for skinned (ihtml) and not skinned
> html?
>
> If yes, which is the default skinned extension?
> - ihtml
> - html
>
> If no, is the skinned html or the not skinned html output the default
> behavior?
>
> Is this ok?

The issue that Clay raises implies that there has already been some
discussion and a decision about this, so I think that we should wait a
few days to see if anyone remembers such a discussion or has any comments.

If nothing is forthcoming then I will add the property as you suggest,
which is the default operation doesn't really matter as we can very
easily change it once it is in SVN. (see I do listen when people say
"less talk more code" ;-))

Ross