forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How To submit a patch
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:42:37 GMT
(Bringing this back to the dev list so that we can talk
about it without cause more chaos for users.)

I really don't like this 'build patch' ability.
Sorry Cheche, it is a good idea but i reckon it
causes too much grief. I have already received
one patch using that which was serverely broken.

I have tried to raise the alarm about this on various
occasions. Here is one:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=109159892201048
"How to create a patch for forrest"
<quote>
There are big problems with the 'build patch' target
because it just packages the diffs for *every* changed
file that it finds. This is okay if those are the only
changes in a users' working copy. However when they have
other work in testing, then that stuff gets added in too.

The biggest issue occurs when they submit a patch to the
issue tracker, and it sits there because we don't have time
or priority to commit it. When next they go to make other
contributions, the old changes are still tangled up in their
automated patch.

It would be better if we had a simple How-To document that
just described the manual steps ... svn diff > mypatch.txt
</quote>

SVN is so easy to use. Why do we need this added
complexity?

--David