forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: License question
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:55:02 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I am preparing the htmlArea plugin for committing to SVN (can be used to
> edit the new WD Forrest 1.0 document :-))
>
> I have a question about legal stuff:
>
> It uses htmlArea, which is available under a BSD style license (fill
> license text below). I assume that I cannot commit the source code to
> SVN, so what I have done is zipped it up and created a build target for
> use when installing plugins. In this case the target unzips the zip when
> installing.
>
> Note, I also have the license stored as a text file alongside the zip.
>
> Is this sufficient to fulfill the legal needs of the ASF?

The policy (AFAIK) with respect to using organization's Jar files is as
follows:

* we don't want to distribute anything that is not "compatible" with
AL2.  So we can include jar files that are owned by other people and
under the AL2, BSD and MIT family, or public domain.  LGPL does not qualify.
* this ownership needs to be recognized in a NOTICE file
* the license they use should accompany the .jar file in our repository

I do not know how this applies to source code.  Generally we only
include source that has been explicitly contributed to the ASF.

more help can be gotten from http://apache.org/dev/apply-license.html
and licensing@a.o

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net