forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject License question
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:57:29 GMT
I am preparing the htmlArea plugin for committing to SVN (can be used to
edit the new WD Forrest 1.0 document :-))

I have a question about legal stuff:

It uses htmlArea, which is available under a BSD style license (fill
license text below). I assume that I cannot commit the source code to
SVN, so what I have done is zipped it up and created a build target for
use when installing plugins. In this case the target unzips the zip when
installing.

Note, I also have the license stored as a text file alongside the zip.

Is this sufficient to fulfill the legal needs of the ASF?

=== full text of license ===

htmlArea License (based on BSD license)
Copyright (c) 2002-2004, interactivetools.com, inc.
Copyright (c) 2003-2004 dynarch.com
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1) Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2) Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation
    and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3) Neither the name of interactivetools.com, inc. nor the names of its
    contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
this
    software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.