forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: size of forrest branch checkout.. oh my
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:27:10 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> about half an hour ago, i started to checkout the forrest-0.6 branch..
>> still waiting on it to finish.
>>
>> i strongly suggest you think about reorganizing the repository so that
>> this does not take forever.
>

> The trunk has already been totally restructured.
> We did that soon after the 0.6 release.
>
> The lib/ directory is the biggest. There is not
> much that we can do there. We need to package
> Cocoon and its friends.

Actually, there is quite allot we can do now that we have restructured:

(note the figures below are very rough sizes, they include all svn
folders and build files so don't reflect the true checkout size):

Whiteboard = 8 Mb
tools = 20Mb
plugins = 16Mb

Total size = 44Mb

Total Forrest directory = 103Mb (also including build files and svn files)

All of these could be moved out of trunk quite safely and would reduce
the checkout size by around 40%.

Furthermore, as we move more stuff into plugins we can further reduce
the size of core. But this needs some more work on the plugin
installation process, e.g. I recently moved the PDF generation into a
plugin but the libs are still in core since I haven't finished the
plugin build process - see http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-354

Ross