forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dynamic or Static Access Control Lists
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:14:09 GMT

Alex Batlin wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses. As suggested, I have raised an RFE. See
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-385.
>
> I have never used cocoon. I have figured out ant, docbook, xslt processing,
> but have not used cocoon beyond forrest, which nicely encapsulates it.
>
> Couple points to consider (from the issue I raised)
> 1. how much work will be required to extend site.xml and tabs.xml to include
> profiling?

I don't think site.xml is the place to do this. Very few users will want
this kind of functionlaity and we are trying to keep site.xml simple and
uncluttered.

However, IMS Manifests already have a mechanism for this and we have an
IMS Manifest plugin. Furthermore, since I am currently the only one
using the IMS Manifest, and I can foresee this being a useful facility
for my work I'd be +1 on assisting.

> 2. how does the auth pipeline fit in, do you mean that once the user is
> authenticated, user to role mapping is done and user's role profile is then
> propagated in the session, and that is what is then used by the profiler?

Without reading up more on the auth modules in Cocoon and where they
would fit in our (currently under discussion) processing pipelines for
Forrest 1.0 it is very difficult to answer this question. More thinking
required.

> 3. can anything be done for the static site e.g. generate all permutations
> of profiled docs, and when the user logs in (say using jscript), the user is
> then redirect to the right version of the document? Sounds very much like a
> hack, but have not got any other ideas at the moment, so suggestions are
> welcome

Hmmmm....

This sounds like a very similar problem to that recently discussed in
the Forrest docs thread (MARC is down at the moment so no link).

Ross