forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: generating the changes.xml from svn
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:47:10 GMT
[cross posted to Forrest-dev]

Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>> thanks to stefano, i learned about svn log -v --xml
>>
>> this results in a 3MB file that has all the commit logs since lenya
>> cvs was started (january 2002). we can easily generate the forrest
>> changes.xml out of it. i'll take a shot at the necessary xsl.
>>
>> for the future, this means we need to make an extra effort to have
>> meaningful commit messages and atomic commits (to avoid duplicate
>> messages about the same change).
>

> ok, http://lenya.apache.org/changes.html

This is cool and very good timing too because I just committed a logs
plugin to Forrest. This plugin embeds log files (currently only J2SE
Java logs) in a Forrest published site.

The problem I see with generating changes.xml from svn logs is that the
svn logs are too fine grained and often have multiple commits for the
same/similar things (guidelines are all very well but it will still
happen). There is certainly value in this level of detail for developers
but for a changelog aimed at users when a release is made I think that
there is an overwhelming amount of detail.

So I have a suggestion:

Status.xml remains as it is, manually maintained and used for user
focussed changelogs (in the future we could have a token in the commit
message indicate that the log entry is intended to be included in
changes.html, but that is for later).

Your stylesheet goes into the Forrest logs plugin and is used to
generate a developer focussed changelog with links to the SVN diffs and
all the cool stuff you have.

Moving the stylesheet into a Forrest plugin will increase the number of
projects using this and should result in many improvments such as those
you suggest.

I will move your stylesheet over to the Forrest plugin for you are OK
with me doing that.

Ross