forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cocoon derby
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:57:03 GMT
scott hutinger wrote:
> I was looking at the cocoon mail archives, and it looks like
> october-28th that cocoon developers don't seem to see a great need for a
> database from a release on their end.  A mention of a derby add-on was
> brought up though.  I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about
> this?

What do you mean "good ideas"? I have to admit I am not familiar with Derby.

> I guess one could integrate it into forrest as an add-on?

A plugin would be very useful, yes. It would require the creation of a
Cocoon generator, this would most likely find a home in Cocoon as a Block.

> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Derby
> has a bit of information on integration of derby with cocoon if anyone
> is interested.  I'll look into it a bit.

As I hinted at in a previous mail, I have a new contract starting in
January, for this I need to interface to a Relational database and then
process the data in Forrest. I was thinking of using the existing Cocoon
HSQLDB generator (the database doesn't exist yet so I can use anything).

Why should I consider Derby instead?

(in case it is not clear, this means I will be willing to help you get
around Forrest in order to build this generator, indeed if you haven't
done it by mid January I will have time to contribute code too).

> I guess the point is, who add's on?  Cocoon, lenya, forrest etc... :-)

A Forrest plugin using a Cocoon generator (if we succeed in enabling
Forrest plugins in Lenya then they would get it for free).

Ross