forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: smart update
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:13:13 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Things are looking great with Forrest, and I'm really looking forward
> to the upcoming features. There's just one thing that personally
> really irks me and I'd like to see that happening in the future too,
> so I'm just testing grounds if I'm the only one with this issue.
>
> When I do a forrest site, it takes about 1 minute to render my
> complete website, which is absolutely fine for complete deploys since
> we don't expect them to be frequent. However, when I'm working on a
> new page/article, I often make small small changes and want see how
> things look like. Clearly forrest site is way too much overhead for
> this kind of thing. Now of course, you can do a forrest run and given
> in the URL you want to check, but wouldn't it be great if forrest
> could be smart about rendering and only work on *modified* pages?

Forrest cannot really know what the sources of files are.  I mean, often
files are generated from a static xml file, but because we use Cocoon,
people could have custom sitemaps which generate pages from a database,
or people could use the RSS feeder plugin.  How could forrest know about
  which files need to be re-rendered?

That said, I think this could be implemented at the Cocoon level with
caching.  Cocoon knows about it's own pipelines so it could know whether
the generators used in a pipeline are dynamic or not.  I can't remember
for sure, but I think this caching is used when for 'forrest run', but
not for seperate runs of 'forrest site'.  We'd have to investigate to
see if a cache could be re-used.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming