forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: smart update
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:26:38 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Things are looking great with Forrest, and I'm really looking forward
> to the upcoming features. There's just one thing that personally
> really irks me and I'd like to see that happening in the future too,
> so I'm just testing grounds if I'm the only one with this issue.
>
> When I do a forrest site, it takes about 1 minute to render my
> complete website, which is absolutely fine for complete deploys since
> we don't expect them to be frequent. However, when I'm working on a
> new page/article, I often make small small changes and want see how
> things look like. Clearly forrest site is way too much overhead for
> this kind of thing. Now of course, you can do a forrest run and given
> in the URL you want to check, but wouldn't it be great if forrest
> could be smart about rendering and only work on *modified* pages?

This would be a great feature (I have a site that takes over 25 minutes
to build, even on my fastest machine).

I think the way to do it would be when creating the linkmap.html file.
By comparing the timestamp of the ouput file with that of the input file
we could create a linkmap that only generates changed pages.

However, beware, if site.xml, tabs.xml, forrest.properties or
skinconf.xml change in any way the whole site will have to be
regenerated as these files affect every page.

Please put a feature request in issues so we don't forget this.

Ross