forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: plugin seed - proplems to get started with the output.xmap
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:33:57 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El jue, 18-11-2004 a las 13:49, Thorsten Scherler escribió:

> I get for http://localhost:8888/contracts.xml
> Message: Resource Not Found
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Ah, hang on I don't even need to look at the code for this one. You have
defined you plugin as an output plugin. This means it gets mounted in
the pipeline late in the processing stage. After the *.xml files have
been processed. You can't have an output plugin doing source work as well.

I was thinking this afternoon that your fbits plugin is not really an
output plugin:

input format --> intermediate format --> output format
               .                       .
              /|\                     /|\
               |                       |
         input plugin            output plugin
           (**.xml)          (**.html, **.pdf etc.)

Your plugin is really an internal plugin, like the IMSManifest plugin.
These do processing for Forrest itself and handle any special matches,
like abs-linkmap. Internal plugins get mounted before any other matchers
and therefore can do anything it wants.

However, be careful with what you use as a match as you can break the
whole sitemap. You must only do a <map:generate ...> if you are certain
you are going to process the full result.

To convert from an output to an internal plugin all you need to do is
change the type attribute in plugins.xml and change the name of
output.xmap to internal.xmap.

Ross